[Kde-accessibility] Some AT-SPI questions

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Fri Dec 16 02:23:39 CET 2005

Leo Spalteholz wrote:

>I've been looking into AT-SPI lately, and have some (very basic)
>questions about writing an accessibility client that gathers
>information from AT-SPI compliant applications (much like GOK).
>
>So one way to do this is to use Atk, which I assume is what GOK is
>using.  However, this page
>(http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/atk.php) seems to indicate
>that it can also be done with straight AT-SPI.  Is there any reason to
>use Atk in a Qt application?

Hi Leo;

ATK isn't intended to be a client interface, as it's in-process.  AT-SPI
is what you want, as it is the interprocess side of the equation.

>Also, is there anything similar to Inspect32 or AccExplorer for
>AT-SPI?

Yes; see "at-poke" from cvs.gnome.org.  If it's the event/notification
stream that interests you, you could also try "event-listener-test"
which is in the 'test' subdirectory of at-spi itself (but is not
installed by default, you'll have to build at-spi from source to get it).

Best regards

Bill