[Kde-accessibility] SSML and the GPL

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Sat Oct 30 18:21:55 CEST 2004

Bill Haneman mentioned there might be licensing issues with VoiceXML in one of
the other threads.  As maintainer of KTTSD, this immediately concerned me.

We plan to provide Speech Synthesis Markup Language (SSML) support in KTTSD.
(Sometimes we say we plan to support VoiceXML, but in reality, since KTTSD is
a speech *output* subsystem, we actually plan to support SSML, which is part
of VoiceXML.)  The SSML spec is at

  http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis/#AppF

which links to the Voice Browser patents disclosure page here

  http://www.w3.org/2001/09/voice-disclosures.html

There is an article by Jonathan Eisenzopf here

  http://www.developer.com/voice/print.php/1565321

which seems to imply there are some licensing encumberances regarding
VoiceXML.  It isn't clear to me whether these encumberances apply to SSML or
not.  If they do, it could be a violation of the GPL (and Debian policy) to
use SSML in KTTSD.

IANAL, nor am I a GPL expert.  If there are license encumberances regarding
use of SSML in KTTSD, I'd like to determine that now before we get too far
down the road.  Can anyone shed some light on this or advise us how to
proceed?

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer