[Kde-accessibility] SSML and the GPL

Kenneth Wimer wimer at suse.de
Sat Oct 30 18:42:02 CEST 2004

* Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt at comcast.net> [Oct 30. 2004 18:26]:
> Bill Haneman mentioned there might be licensing issues with VoiceXML in one of
> the other threads.  As maintainer of KTTSD, this immediately concerned me.
>
> We plan to provide Speech Synthesis Markup Language (SSML) support in KTTSD.
> (Sometimes we say we plan to support VoiceXML, but in reality, since KTTSD is
> a speech *output* subsystem, we actually plan to support SSML, which is part
> of VoiceXML.)  The SSML spec is at
>
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis/#AppF
>
> which links to the Voice Browser patents disclosure page here
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/09/voice-disclosures.html
>
> There is an article by Jonathan Eisenzopf here
>
>   http://www.developer.com/voice/print.php/1565321
>
> which seems to imply there are some licensing encumberances regarding
> VoiceXML.  It isn't clear to me whether these encumberances apply to SSML or
> not.  If they do, it could be a violation of the GPL (and Debian policy) to
> use SSML in KTTSD.

I am not an expert either, but if you read the whole page (the second
one) you will find the fiollowing sentence in BOLD print

"As a result, there are no known impediments to Royalty Free
implementations of the W3C Speech Interface Framework specifications."

Bye,
Kenneth

--
SUSE LINUX - a Novell business