[Kde-accessibility] KTTS kspeech::setFile() method and text encoding

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Thu Dec 30 22:26:44 CET 2004

There is a problem in the current KDE Text-to-Speech system regarding file
encoding.  The "Speak File" button in KTTSMgr does not work correctly when
specifying a file that has text encoded differently from the user's desktop
encoding setting.  For example, if my desktop is set to ISO 8859-1 or UTF-8,
and I open a Polish file encoded in ISO 8859-2, the text is mangled and not
spoken properly.

I'd like to fix this by changing the kspeech::setFile() method, adding an
encoding parameter.  To my knowledge, the only application currently using
this method is KTTSMgr.  Does anyone object if I modify this method?

Thanks.
--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer