[Kde-accessibility] Icons and text [was Re: Code and icon move to kdelibs and kdebase]

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Thu Dec 16 13:34:24 CET 2004

Olaf Schmidt wrote:

> Its good to know that the lack of responses simply meant that everything
>
>is right, especially since I am no expert in icon creation. I remembered
>that text in icons is difficult for translations,

As an aside, one technique which can work is for icons to be
created/composited at runtime, if it's really important that they have
some localizable content.  The gnome sticky-keys applet does this with
the 'AltGraph' key, because the best representation of the 'alt graph'
seems to require some kind of glyph(s) to appear on the icon.  So we use
localization to retrieve a short UTF-8 string (really just a glyph), and
then composite that into a background icon.

- Bill