[Kde-accessibility] Proklam screenshots

Pupeno pupeno@pupeno.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 05:20:57 -0400

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 04:42, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:
> Thank you for sending these screenshots.
You're welcome.

> I like the layout.
Good!

> As I am the kind of person who is always thinking of other ways to do it,
That's great!

> I have a number of other ideas, again - you do not need to follow them.
Other ideas are welcome... other ideas gave life again to Proklam.

> > (this has to be polished as diferent languages should be managed here
> > too, I think... I'm not sure).
>
> I am not sure whether the advanced tab is needed.
Well, that's why it's called advanced... people are not supouse to need it =
;)
people are not supouse to even try it... should I change it to... "very and
unuseful advanced settings, KEEP AWAY" ? hehehe ,just joking...

> It might be less error-prone to just use a hard-coded text in the KDE
> default language. I think you can expect the user to install a plug-in
> for the language KDE is using. Otherwise all system messages / warnings
> cannot be correctly spoken, so not to saying these interruption texts
> would be the smaller problem.
>
> If Proklam will be part of the kdelibs, then it will be translated into a
> lot of languages. This way the user does not have to translate the
> interruption texts him-/herself.
The idea of letting the user change this was not ment for transalting but
mainly for changing it... I think it's totally unfriendly if a message is n=
ot
spoke because the user may get confused... I meen you're listening to a text
and sudenly... You have new mail... and the text continues... so, there
should be some kind of pre and post message messages but for my personal us=
e,
I don't want them. In fact, now that I'm thinking, I should allow to play a
sound too... so, you can just play a beep to be alarmed about this change,
more polishing/features ;)

> I was not sure about the spelling of "interrupted", so I looked it up in
> the dictionary. (BTW: I would have spelled it wrong, too.)
I wasn't sure either... in fact, I was almost sure it was wrong... but I wa=
nt
to focus on funtionality, later there will be time for ortography and text
changing... one thing that I'm trying to avoid is mentioning Proklam, as for
the user, this will be just the text to speech driver, no fancy confusing
name... I started to make the modifications, but there are still a lot of
"What's this ?" texts to be changed.

> The kde-usability list has discussed a lot of UI changes to kcontrol
> modules in the last weeks. It would be best to send typo corrected
> screenshot to the kde-usability list for discussion if you wish to
> improve the usability of Proklam.
I'll do my best for the next screenshoots (not the ones that I have just
sent).

> > Maybe the TTS/lang selector should go at the top, that's not a problem.
> > What do you think about it ?
>
> Having two tabs below each other is confusing, as programs behave
> different in such a situation. Under Windows, all tabs behave like being
> part of one only tab line, even if they are shown in several lines.
I understand, this was confusing and I changed... no, the adding languages
widgets are at the top, there's a line, and then the other tabs... that is
more understandable.

> It is also confusing that "default" and "remove" are not part of the
> plug-in frame, even though they apply to them.
I know that too. The question here is that the plug-in frame is provided by
the plug in, as a loading library (nothing plug in related is inside Proklam
core's). TO put the default and remove buttons inside the frame there are t=
wo
posibilities... when creating the tab, creating a widget, adding the plug in
configuration to that widget and adding the default and remove buttons at t=
he
bottom which will make laying out a bit harder to me, the developer but wou=
ld
be the most perfect solution. Or require the plug in to provide this buttons
by itself which is not good, because some plug in vendor may forget to put
this buttons leading to a not working gui, or someone may make malicious pl=
ug
ins by tweaking that objects. I'll try to see if I can achive the first
option.

> How about really putting all tabs into one line?
> [General] [English] [Spanish] ([Advanced])
The question with that is that in fact, English and Spanish are not tabs of
the same category as General and Advanced, I find this a bit confusing and
the other question is that the tab adding is a bit caotic... so if everythi=
ng
is toghether... the languages may end up before general and advanced or
something like that.... well, no, it should happen... please, check the new
layout.

> In "General", you would then have a list of all language plug-ins with the
> options to add and remove them.
Too litle things for one window... what I could do if we make this aproach =
is
to have a tab configuration, with General and Advanced mixed in one tab, and
then language tabs... I'm starting to like this idea :)

> Why is setting the default language neccessary? Either the KDE default
> language could be used as the default one, or you could force programs to
> set the language.
Well... I'm not sure... but better to have a default language than not havi=
ng
it.

> As I have sometimes untranslated English programs running on my German
> KDE, I prefer the latter. (Much better than manually setting a default
> language that does not work correctly for some of my programs.)
>
> There could be a function in KSpeech that allows speaking a text without
> specifying a language, but it should then set the language to the
> language of the program and send a DCOP message with language, so Proklam
> does not have to guess.
>
> Of course there we still be the question of what to do with unsupported
> languages, but it should be OK to expect the user to install a plug-in
> for every language he wants to have understandably spoken.
The question here is that... KDE is translated to more than 20 languages,
where TTS can be obtained freely just for, at best, 5 languages, maybe 6 or
7... so, I think, there will be a lot of people still wanting to use TTS
capabilities without a speaker in their language. So I decided to have a
paralele language selection from what is used in the rest of KDE.
Appart from that, spoken language is not as written language, there are a l=
ot
of diferente dialects in the same langauge.
Supouse someone in Cananda, having the KDE in French and having a French TT=
S,
they may still want to use as default the French Canadian TTS (comercial TTS
offer voices very detailed in that aspects). Or maybe the reverse, being in
Canada, using French Canadian language for the written, they may want to use
plain French for spoken as it may be more formal (I'm don't know about this,
just imaging the French Canadian - French has the same problems as American
English - British English) or more understandable.
The language stuff in the screenshots is far from complete, I'm using plain=
ly
the language/dialect codes because it didn't make any sense to implement th=
is
type of things as it's going to be implemented inside kdelibs. Klas Kalass
proposed creating a language/country combo/widget selector for general use
and I'm going to help him making it for later use in Proklam or anywhere.
Thank you... I'll keep on running...
Carpe diem!
=2D --
Pupeno: pupeno@pupeno.com
http://www.pupeno.com
=2D ---
Help the hungry children of Argentina,
please go to (and make it your homepage):
http://www.porloschicos.com/servlet/PorLosChicos?comando=3Ddonar