[Kde-accessibility] Proklam screenshots

Olaf Jan Schmidt olaf@amen-online.de
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:42:42 +0200

Hi Pupeno!

Thank you for sending these screenshots.

I like the layout.=20

As I am the kind of person who is always thinking of other ways to do it,=
=20
I have a number of other ideas, again - you do not need to follow them.

> (this has to be polished as diferent languages should be managed here
> too, I think... I'm not sure).

I am not sure whether the advanced tab is needed.

It might be less error-prone to just use a hard-coded text in the KDE=20
default language. I think you can expect the user to install a plug-in=20
for the language KDE is using. Otherwise all system messages / warnings=20
cannot be correctly spoken, so not to saying these interruption texts=20
would be the smaller problem.

If Proklam will be part of the kdelibs, then it will be translated into a=
=20
lot of languages. This way the user does not have to translate the=20
interruption texts him-/herself.

I was not sure about the spelling of "interrupted", so I looked it up in=20
the dictionary. (BTW: I would have spelled it wrong, too.)

The kde-usability list has discussed a lot of UI changes to kcontrol=20
modules in the last weeks. It would be best to send typo corrected=20
screenshot to the kde-usability list for discussion if you wish to=20
improve the usability of Proklam.

> Maybe the TTS/lang selector should go at the top, that's not a problem.
> What do you think about it ?

Having two tabs below each other is confusing, as programs behave=20
different in such a situation. Under Windows, all tabs behave like being=20
part of one only tab line, even if they are shown in several lines.

It is also confusing that "default" and "remove" are not part of the=20
plug-in frame, even though they apply to them.

How about really putting all tabs into one line?
[General] [English] [Spanish] ([Advanced])

In "General", you would then have a list of all language plug-ins with th=
e=20
options to add and remove them.

Why is setting the default language neccessary? Either the KDE default=20
language could be used as the default one, or you could force programs to=
=20
set the language.

As I have sometimes untranslated English programs running on my German=20
KDE, I prefer the latter. (Much better than manually setting a default=20
language that does not work correctly for some of my programs.)

There could be a function in KSpeech that allows speaking a text without=20
specifying a language, but it should then set the language to the=20
language of the program and send a DCOP message with language, so Proklam=
=20
does not have to guess.

Of course there we still be the question of what to do with unsupported=20
languages, but it should be OK to expect the user to install a plug-in=20
for every language he wants to have understandably spoken.

Just my ideas, the people on kde-usability might be more competent to=20
judge these issues.

Olaf.

- --=20
Meine Internetseiten: