[Kde-accessibility] AT-SPI, to ATK or not to ATK...

Philippe FREMY P.FREMY@OBERTHURCS.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:08:08 +0100

	Hi Pupeno,

You don't want to mess with Corba and you are right. Corba is difficult and
complex. If somebody has taken care of simplifying the API before you, not
using its work would be stupid.

My experience of working with Gtk/Gobject, is that it maps very easily to
Qt/C++ . If ATK is indeed complete, it should not be very hard to bind it to
Qt/KDE.

For the gnome dependancy, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Gnome was
indeed the first to have accessibility bindings and they seem to have done
it right. It is not surprising that we depend from them on this. Rejecting
their valuable work for a NIH syndrome would be plain stupid.

Enabling accessibility is a big task, very much needed, which you are
probably going to code alone. So you are the one who decides.

Of course, if someone wants to step up and code a corba bridge to AT-SPI,
let him do this.

Now a small technical question: can the accessbility be coded as a separate
library or will it become part of kdelib ?

	regards,

	Philippe