[Kbabel] folder structure (po/pot) for non-kde projects

Stephan Johach lucardus at onlinehome.de
Sat Jan 20 14:20:04 CET 2007

Hi!

Am Samstag 20 Januar 2007, 12:43:12 schrieb Milian Wolff:
> Did you check out the catalog manager? did it work? That's were my problem
> is! I can open po files and translate them - that's not my problem.
>
> If I update my .pot file, how do I merge these changes back into my german
> .po file? Thats what the catalog manager is for, isn't it?

No, AFAIK the catalogmanager only opens a new .po file if you have
one. E.g. if you have app.pot in the pot directory and no corresponding .po
file it copies a renamed app.pot in the po-directory and opens it with
kabel when you click on the entry.

The actual merging of existing .po files with updated pot files is done by a
script on the kde server and committed to the svn repository. The translators
then get updated .po files with untranslated and/or fuzzy entries. This is
not done with catalogmanager. Or this feature is very hidden to me, and I am a
kde translator since kde 2.x. :)

I guess you have to call the msgmerge utitility from the gettext package
to do this.

That does indeed not answer your question why the project does not work
in catalogmanager. Catalogmanager is a very kde specific tool. So, I
have no solution for this. Unfortunately kbabel is without an active
maintainer at the moment.

Perhaps you can try to emulate the kde projects directory structure.

For the german module we have the following project paths settings

PoBaseDir=/home/hunsum/svn/l10n/de
PotBaseDir=/home/hunsum/svn/l10n/templates

The kde directory structure for GUI is as follows:

l10n/de/messages/<packagename>/<all kdebase po files in here>
l10n/templates/messages/<packagename>/<all kdebase pot files in here>

Have a look at

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/stable/l10n/

to get the actual directory structure.

Stephan