[Kbabel] Default behaviors (header-wise) in KBabel

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Fri Oct 28 10:38:00 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm from Xfce, in which I've been working as translation supervisor
(PO file commit, fixing errors etc.), now I have noticed something
unpleasant from KBabel:

  o It replaces given proper header string at `Project-Id-Version'
    with ISO 639 language code.
  o It keeps leaving strange comments at initial comment part.

Please take a look at actual commit log,

  http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce4-commits/2005-October/018807.html

So my question is why Kbabel behaves like the above? as I've never
used KDE, it's hard to figure the problem out, but I smelled there's
some bad design at giving values to the PO header, at least Kbabel
should warn at blank form (project name, contact address) if it exists
but Kbabel shouldn't fill these forms with invalid values at the same
time (there needs some guidance/tooltips for the translators), to be
more detailed, please read my post in the Xfce i18n ML also,

  http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce-i18n/2005-September/003277.html

I'm bit tired with KBabel users, and thanks for your considerations.

Regards,
--
Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm