[Kbabel] Full Gettext support in KBabel

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Thu Oct 20 22:52:26 CEST 2005

> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> Okay, to avoid further misunderstanding: you mean that in KDE4's l10n
> module all will be in today's Gettext format (with Gettext context and
> Gettext plural).

I didn't really think about organization at that point, just that KDE 4.0
code shouldn't have any trace of handling obsolete PO format.

As for the organization, I would say on the contrary: l10n should contain
obsolete PO format. New xgettext extracts messages into new POT format,
then our special script converts it into obsolete POT format, and puts
that in l10n/templates. Translators go about happily, as nothing has
changed, filling their respective directories with obsolete POs. However,
upon installation, one would have to run the script to get new POs from
obsolete ones, and only then send it to msgfmt.

This conversion calamity loses some point if KBabel 3.5 series can easily
be made into cooperation with new PO format, but it does allow many older
KBabels to be used.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)