[Kbabel] Full Gettext support in KBabel

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Thu Oct 20 22:30:43 CEST 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 22:10, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> >> [: Chusslove Illich :]
> >> To keep 3.5 KBabel in the game, we could have a script which converts
> >> standard Gettext POT to KDE's current custom POT for mergings and
> >> translations, and then the translated custom PO back to standard PO for
> >> installation.
> >
> > [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> > You have still a problem.
> >
> > A third party application made for KDE 4.0 which you try to compile on
> > KDE 4.1. How would you handle the PO files?
>
> I don't quite understand. From the point of view of KDE 4.0, everything
> should be standard Gettext, PO and .mo files included. It is just a
> makeshift for the translators using 3.5 KBabel, this script stuff.

Okay, to avoid further misunderstanding: you mean that in KDE4's l10n module
all will be in today's Gettext format (with Gettext context and Gettext
plural).

But then you are breaking KBabel's catalog manager, as you could not update
and commit directly anymore.

(Any way, such a script form KDE 3.5 to KDE4 is needed, at least once for
converting the l10n module.)

(...)

Have  a nice day!