[Kbabel] Full Gettext support in KBabel

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Thu Oct 20 22:10:19 CEST 2005

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> To keep 3.5 KBabel in the game, we could have a script which converts
>> standard Gettext POT to KDE's current custom POT for mergings and
>> translations, and then the translated custom PO back to standard PO for
>> installation.
>
> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> You have still a problem.
>
> A third party application made for KDE 4.0 which you try to compile on
> KDE 4.1. How would you handle the PO files?

I don't quite understand. From the point of view of KDE 4.0, everything
should be standard Gettext, PO and .mo files included. It is just a
makeshift for the translators using 3.5 KBabel, this script stuff. Similar
to what is sometimes done now, taking some obscure format (Mozilla, OOo)
to PO for translation, and then back. Third party program and its
translators will either have to do the same if they want's to use KDE 4.0
API and translate with 3.5 KBabel, or translate in some other way.

Either so, or we really do something with KBabel 3.5.1, but that would then
force all translators have that or higher version...

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)