[Kbabel] Fwd: gettext and contexts

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Thu Oct 20 21:54:06 CEST 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 21:30, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> >> [: Bruno Haible :]
> >> Also I'd like to make a minimal support of this syntax in kbabel.
> >> Simply changing the PO file import and export filters, to transform
> >>     msgctxt "Help"
> >> into
> >>     #. Context: Help
> >
> > [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> > I had a similar idea.
> >
> > There is just the problem that contexts can be quite long (see the one
> > of the message for selecting left-to-right or right-to-left). So perhaps
> > the hacked context should still be quoted. (A \n cannot appear, as it is
> > currently the end of context.)
>
> What's the big problem of simply loading and storing msgctxt in the same
> way as anything else (eg. msgid_plural), and writing it back out upon
> saving? It is anyway what has to be done at some point, and currently it
> would just be invisible to the user (no feature changes).

The problem is how to show it to the user, without having tons of new code
(which nobody seems to have the time to write. (I mean in KDE 3.5 of course.)
)

The context cannot be invisible to the user, as the (translator) user needs to
see the context (otherwise we can drop the context concept at all and fall
back to the standard Gettext behaviour).

(Don't forget! A context can be something like "noun" or "verb". It is very
seldom a pure internal feature. (I cannot even thing about an example for
such a case.))

Have a nice day!