[Kbabel] Fwd: gettext and contexts

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Thu Oct 20 22:30:08 CEST 2005

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> What's the big problem of simply loading and storing msgctxt in the
>> same way as anything else (eg. msgid_plural), and writing it back out
>> upon saving? It is anyway what has to be done at some point, and
>> currently it would just be invisible to the user (no feature changes).
>
> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> The problem is how to show it to the user, without having tons of new
> code (which nobody seems to have the time to write. (I mean in KDE 3.5
> of course.)

Oh :) It's just that I was coming from the position of this context stuff
being to new to get into the field use quickly, so I went only into the
don't-choke direction... We'll use it in KDE 4.0 (hopefully :), and on
Translation-i18n there was also an estimate of two years for this to sink
into the Gnome camp, by a fellow translator from that tribe.

Anyway, thinking in this direction, 3.5 KBabel is feature frosen, but what
exactly constitutes a feature freeze? I had this idea: currently, if the
msgid_plural comes, the msgid pane is going to split into two tabs to show
both; could this GUI easily be upgraded to show another tab if msgctxt is
present? And all this comes into play only if msgctxt appears, so there is
no real new feature to talk of :) I myself could probably make the msgctxt
load where it should and write out back, but as I said, I'm blank with
GUIs.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)