[Kbabel] Full Gettext support in KBabel

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Thu Oct 20 20:04:21 CEST 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 15:17, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> > [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> > Well, it is quite (too) late now, as KDE 3.5 is in message freeze.
> > Therefore KBabel cannot be changed where it would matter.
>
> I did have in mind KBabel for KDE 4, but...
>
> > (KDE 4 will not be translated with its own KBabel but with the KBabel
> > of KDE 3.5. We had that experience already with KDE2 to KDE3 switch.)
> > [...]
> > Do not forget! KBabel is a tool for translators. That are not people
> > that can jump on every new software tool [...]
>
> This somehow didn't cross my mind :) Hm, that would mean it is not an
> option to switch to standard Gettext before KDE 4.1? If so, it still
> doesn't sound too bad, especially if KBabel in KDE 4.0 does separate
> representation and formats...

Well, even KDE 4.1 is not sure, as you would need to keep binary compatibility
for KDE programs compiled under KDE 4.0. (That is why we are still using the
stupid/buggy hash for KDE3.)

> > I am not sure that there is even any people following this mailing list
> > who are trying to compile KBabel on KDE4 regularly.
>
> I'll give it a shot these days :) And it might be about time I take a look
> at some GUI related stuff...

As far as I know, there is stuff that was not ported forward from KDE 3.5 to
KDE4. (For example const_iterator and const variables in the catalog
manager.)

However basically, it should compile more or less, as Laurent Montel had fixed
a few compile errors (but not lately anymore).

Have a nice day!