[Kbabel] Full Gettext support in KBabel

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Thu Oct 20 21:23:42 CEST 2005

> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> Well, even KDE 4.1 is not sure, as you would need to keep binary
> compatibility for KDE programs compiled under KDE 4.0. (That is why we
> are still using the stupid/buggy hash for KDE3.)

I thought about code for handling POs being buried under the public
interfaces, but forgot that compatibility with .mo files must also be
preserved. Just great. Then the only alternative is switching to standard
Gettext PO in 4.0 already.

To keep 3.5 KBabel in the game, we could have a script which converts
standard Gettext POT to KDE's current custom POT for mergings and
translations, and then the translated custom PO back to standard PO for
installation. That way, translators get to use 3.5 KBabel, and only those
familiar with compilation have this extra step of conversion. And
everything is dropped upon the appearance of 4.0 KBabel.

And yes, we shoot in public any developer who puts a newline into context
or plural form in the meantime.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)