[Kbabel] corrupted TM databases

Gudmund Areskoug fta at algonet.se
Mon Nov 28 16:22:52 CET 2005

Hi,

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
>>>That is an invalid PO file, as it has duplicated
>>>entries.
>>
>>Well, this is a (valid?) extension of .po format,
>>which immensely helps to get things done, and it
>>brings in interest in kbabel from non-.po l10n
>>domains. Supporting this seems more relevant to me,
>>than, e.g., xliff.
>
> As written, KBabel's editor itself supports PO files with duplicated msgid.
> It is Gettext's tools that consider them invalid.
>
> As for a translation database, I am not sure about the use of it. What is the
> advantage to have two translations of a same word?

same characters, different meanings, only evident through context (at best).

There are heaps of them in every language.

As an example, I just now have two different buttons in one app I'm
translating, "Cancel". One is for cancelling an order, the other for
cancelling any application operation. They can't /shouldn't have the
same translation in Swedish.

BR,
Gudmund