[Kbabel] corrupted TM databases

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Mon Nov 28 14:52:30 CET 2005

On Monday 28 November 2005 13:47, Yury Tarasievich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --- Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg at snafu.de> wrote:
>
> > > Both of these may or may not be helped by setting
> >
> > the
> >
> > > langcode in the "default project" settings prior

> > > executing the function, I didn't dig much.
> >
> > Do you mean that the handling is ignoring the
> > settings of the current project
> > and only works with the settings of the default
> > project?
>
> Well, I couldn't really tell. Setting the <langcode>
> seemed to help once, but somehow not afterwards (was
> the default settings still there? I didn't look).
>

> These functions ignore project settings, that's for
> sure.

Can you create a bug report at KDE Bugs please?

> > actually. I
> >
> > > do just a search (auto-search, actually) and all 4
> > > .db's modification times change?! This doesn't
> >
> > seem
> >
> > > the sanest behaviour to me.
> >
> > Perhaps the databases are not opened in a read-only
> > mode. This might be
> > needed, if it is not sure if writing will be needed
> > or not.
> > (However I have not checked the code.)
>
> Is the modification time affected by r/w mode by
> itself?

That is a good question.

I had assumed so but reading again the manual pages for open(2) and mmap(2),
it should not be the case. So there must be something else.

> > > 3. Then, there's the issue of po's converted with
> > > translate toolkit (tranlate.sf.net). Kbabel insist
>
> translate.sf.net, that is.

> > > Then Kbabel doesn't want either to show the status
> >
> > of
> >
> > > .po, or to save such file.
> >
> > That is an invalid PO file, as it has duplicated
> > entries.
>
> Well, this is a (valid?) extension of .po format,
> which immensely helps to get things done, and it
> brings in interest in kbabel from non-.po l10n
> domains. Supporting this seems more relevant to me,
> than, e.g., xliff.

As written, KBabel's editor itself supports PO files with duplicated msgid.
It is Gettext's tools that consider them invalid.

As for a translation database, I am not sure about the use of it. What is the
advantage to have two translations of a same word?

> > If you want to save it from KBabel's editor, try the
> > "special save" and
> > disable the checking of the file.
> >
> > Or you can change the project setting, not to check
> > at save.
>
> Ah, these I know about, of course. Doesn't help
> ease-of-use, though, and that's what I'm talking
> about.

Well, you have to choose. Either you want PO files that msgfmt can transform
into MO files or you do not want it.

But perhaps we are talking about something totally else. Can you look in the
original PO file and see if there is a "domain" keyword? That would be indeed
a feature that KBabel does not support.

> -cheers

Have a nice day!

(...)