[Kbabel] some progress with the spell checker

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Fri Jun 24 15:36:15 CEST 2005

On Friday 24 June 2005 00:29, Heiko Evermann wrote:
> Well,
>
> my problems might have to do with character coding. But aspell via the
> command line
>
> > aspell -a -S -d <lang code>
>
> is doing fine. I get an interactive program, I can enter a text and get
> a result.
>

> Could you do me a favour: could some of you (it does not take long)
> enter a text somewhere in a po-file, a text containing special characters.
> I think that any language of yours should contain some, e.g. if it is a
> french word that you happen to use. Do some nonsense with the word to make
> sure that it is misspelled and tell me, whether it is marked. And if it
> works, please tell me
> * which text did you use?
> * is it aspell or ispell
> * which language code

I have tested with a German desktop_kdebase.po (I do not know which old
version it is exactly however).

With ispell, old German dictionary, ISO-8859-1 in KBabel trunk

> I would really like to be able to limit the scope of the error. My fear is,
> that any word with special characters (like french accents) will not be
> checked at all. That would be highly undesirable.

For me, German umlauts seem to work.

> I would like to know about the scope of the problem. Because perhaps the
> only viable solution would be to port KBabel to KSpell2 (like KOffice did
> some time ago). And I would like to know, whether or not that is
> neccessary.

As Stanislav Visnovsky has written, porting to KSpell2 will be necessary for
KDE4. As anyway many major modifications seem to be needed for Qt4/KDE4, it
would be nice if that problem could be postponed until then too.

Have a nice day!