[Kbabel] browsing translation database

Janusz S. Bień jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Sat Oct 23 08:35:46 CEST 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004  Stanislav Visnovsky <visnovsky at kde.org> wrote:

[...]

> > However, with the search panel I am unable to find any word occuring
> > in the scanned file. Moreover, in KBabel the menu item "Dictionary
> > edit" is empty.
>
> This is generic and no KBabelDict module provides possibility to edit the
> dictionary - that's why the menu is empty.

Thank you very much for your answer.

> > What am I doing wrong? is it possible to browse the dictionary entry
> > by entry?
>
> Unfortunatelly not, because ATM it would be a debugging option only. There is
> no real use case AFAICS. Or do you have one except for a debugging the
> database?

I am not a translator, but I am familiar with several commercial
Computer Aided Translation systems and all of them allow to browse the
dictionary. I think that for a translator which is about to start
using a dictionary it is really useful to have a look at its content,
at least to satisfy the natural curiosity.

> Did you try to search in KBabelDict for some texts you are sure were in the
> scanned file?

My first experiments were rather chaotic and today I tried to be more
systematic.

I tried to configure kBabel according to the instruction for Polish
translators at

        http://kdei18n-pl.sourceforge.net/slowniki.php

I'v set "Path to Compendium File" as

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/kdei18n-pl/slownik/slownik.po?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain

and got

        Error while trying to read file for PO Compendium module:

with some error messages on the console.

Then I noticed that there is a redicrection from the above mentioned address to

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/kdei18n-pl/slownik/slownik.po?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain

So I set "Path to Compendium File" to this address and got again

        Error while trying to read file for PO Compendium module:

Then I donloaded the file `slownik.po' and set "Path to Compendium
File" to it using "Open file dialog". I got no reaction to "Apply" and
later to "Find Text" -> "PO Compendium".

Moerover, I get now no reaction even when I set "Path to Compendium
File" to the URLs given above.

These experiments has been done under IceWM. I tried to repeat them
under KDE (HD installation of Knoppix 3.6). However, I got no reaction
to setting "Path to Compendium File" from the very beginning. I
noticed also a very strange thing: I get the message

        [1]+  Done                    kbabel

on the console although I still see kBabel window and it is listed by
ps (although with a different PID)! Here is the relevant part of the
console output:

jbien at box:~$ kbabel&
[1] 2835
jbien at box:~$ QMetaObject::findSignal:KListView: Conflict with QListView::doubleClicked(QListViewItem*,const QPoint&,int)
kspell (kdelibs): ERROR: charsets iso-8859-4 .. iso-8859-15 not supported yet
kbabel: WARNING: Something's wrong with KSpell, can't start on-the-fly checking
kspell (kdelibs): ERROR: charsets iso-8859-4 .. iso-8859-15 not supported yet
kbabel: WARNING: Something's wrong with KSpell, can't start on-the-fly checking

[1]+  Done                    kbabel
jbien at box:~$ mount /mnt/hda5
jbien at box:~$ ps x
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND

[...]

 2836 pts/0    S      0:01 kbabel
 2847 pts/0    R+     0:00 ps x
jbien at box:~$

And here is more information about my Debian Sarge system:

Package: kbabel
Version: 4:3.2.3-2

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 3.1
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (990, 'testing'), (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.7
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C

Versions of packages kbabel depends on:
ii  kdelibs4                  4:3.2.3-4      KDE core libraries
ii  libart-2.0-2              2.3.16-6       Library of functions for 2D graphi
ii  libc6                     2.3.2.ds1-16   GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
ii  libdb4.0                  4.0.14-2       Berkeley v4.0 Database Libraries [
ii  libfam0c102               2.7.0-5        client library to control the FAM
ii  libgcc1                   1:3.4.1-7      GCC support library
ii  libice6                   4.3.0.dfsg.1-6 Inter-Client Exchange library
ii  libpng12-0                1.2.5.0-7      PNG library - runtime
ii  libqt3c102-mt             3:3.2.3-4      Qt GUI Library (Threaded runtime v
ii  libsm6                    4.3.0.dfsg.1-6 X Window System Session Management
ii  libstdc++5                1:3.3.4-9      The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
ii  libx11-6                  4.3.0.dfsg.1-6 X Window System protocol client li
ii  libxext6                  4.3.0.dfsg.1-6 X Window System miscellaneous exte
ii  libxrender1               0.8.3-7        X Rendering Extension client libra
ii  xlibs                     4.3.0.dfsg.1-6 X Window System client libraries m
ii  zlib1g                    1:1.2.1.1-5    compression library - runtime

Should I submit a bug against Debian kbabel package?

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)