[Kbabel] About rough translations

Stanislav Visnovsky visnovsky at kde.org
Fri Jun 6 11:49:32 CEST 2003

Dňa Pi 6. Jún 2003 06:28 Bernd Groh napísal:
> Hi Stanislav!
>
> >The last word translation should be fixed now.
> >
> >The case sensitivity is a bit problematic:
> >According to the source, it is used only if you search a translation in
> > the window, not for a rough translation. But should KBabel use these
> >settings for enabled and/or disabled "Allow fuzzy translation"?
>
> Thanks for the fix, and I wouldn't know? I believe if you want fuzzy
> translations anyway, you don't really care about case. If you disable
> fuzzy translations, I'd expect it to differentiate between case, iff the
> box 'Case sensitive' is ticked, but not if it isn't ticked.
>
> >IMHO, they should be used only for fuzzy translation, otherwise you can't
> > get exact translation - PO compendium can match substring, superstring,
> > etc. What's your opinion?
>
> I believe, that if you tick 'Case sensitive', even though you might
> match if only one word is equal, it should still not match 'set' and
> 'Set', for example (assuming you disabled fuzzy matching). But it should
> definitely match 'set' with 'Set' if 'Case sensitive' isn't ticked.

Let's ask in a different way: should a dictionary honour its settings for
exact translation? Should it for fuzzy translation?

fuzzy search/exact search = fuzzy translation is/is not allowed in rough
translation dialog.

We have 4 cases here:
1) use settings, do exact search
2) don't use settings, do exact search
3) use settings, do fuzzy search
4) don't use settings, do fuzzy search

4) does not make too much sense. The cases 1) and 2) cause the problem.
It boils down to the question: "What do a user expect?" 1) or 2). It seems
Bernd expects 1) to be the case. However, KBabel currently uses 1).

Stanislav