[Kbabel] About rough translations

Bernd Groh bgroh at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 17:11:04 CEST 2003

Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:

[snip]

>>I believe, that if you tick 'Case sensitive', even though you might
>>match if only one word is equal, it should still not match 'set' and
>>'Set', for example (assuming you disabled fuzzy matching). But it should
>>definitely match 'set' with 'Set' if 'Case sensitive' isn't ticked.
>>

>Let's ask in a different way: should a dictionary honour its settings for
>exact translation? Should it for fuzzy translation?

I don't know what it *should* do? I can say what I'd have expected
though. If I allow fuzzy matches, then I don't really care about the
settings. If I'd do exact match only (and/or allow translation of single
words), then I'd have expected KBabel to respect the settings. Whether
that's the right way to behave or not, I don't know, it's simply what I
would have expected without much thought.

>fuzzy search/exact search = fuzzy translation is/is not allowed in rough
>translation dialog.
>
>We have 4 cases here:
>1) use settings, do exact search
>2) don't use settings, do exact search
>3) use settings, do fuzzy search
>4) don't use settings, do fuzzy search
>
>4) does not make too much sense. The cases 1) and 2) cause the problem.
>It boils down to the question: "What do a user expect?" 1) or 2). It seems
>Bernd expects 1) to be the case. However, KBabel currently uses 1).

Yep, that's what I'd expect, not claiming my expectations would be the
most general and should be applied in any case! :-) But if I use the
PO-Compendium, I somehow need to respect the settings in there too.
Which means I can have fuzzy match disabled in the rough translation
dialog, but enabled in the PO-Compendium dialog. Which one should I use
then? Does KBabel consider the settings in the PO-Compendium for the
rough translations at all, i.e. 'Case sensitive'?

Cheers,
Bernd