[Kbabel] [Fwd: [l10n-dev] [Fwd: [Freecats-Dev] The other side: "Commercial" TM tools (cont.)]]

Dwayne Bailey dwayne@obsidian.co.za
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:12:52 +0200

Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Dwayne Bailey wrote:
>

>>Isn't this that same as the idea I had of having multiple data sources
>>for rough transaltion.  Eg for officail word transaltions, kde past
>>work, etc.  Wouldn't it just then be adding a weighting on top of this
>>to decide which source has precedence.
>

> I'm just curious, how a GUI for such settings should be handled. That is
> my primary concern. After we can figure out this, we can identify, which
> parts of the databases should be centralized, distributed etc, and
> then adapt already provided database access (or implement a different)
> to get this.

I think it woould mean firstly that we elimiante the 1:1 idea of dat
sources that we currently have.  Allowing for multiple data sources of
simialr types to be defined.

This would eliminate the different database configuration menu items and
consolidate them into one.

I suggest a new highlevel screen which lists:

- a shortname eg.  KDE 3.1
- comment eg All KDE 3.1 transaltions including kdenonbeta
- lists the type of datasource eg. PO compendium, db2 database, TMX, and
any future ones
- Lists its precedence? (not sure about this part yet.

If you click on a datasource you can:
- Delete it
- Edit it
- Move it up or down.

If you edit it then you are taken to the dialogues currently used by
these datasources and you can set the global settings for each.

---

On the rough translation dialogue.  You still have the items that you
can select ecpect they display the shortname instead of the datasource
type.  So you could have multiple PO compendium files.  You would be
able to sort the order aswell.

The custom setting should be stored somehow with a button to set them
back to default - which would be the default global settings set earlier.

It may be usefull to make temporary db2 databases of PO files as they
will take much too long for rough translation if you have 2-3 of them.

---

Another usefull thing:

You might want to ensure exact translations are not marked fuzzy, but
that other automatic translation atttempts are mrked fuzzy.  Not sure
how to do this.

--
Kind regards
Dwayne Bailey

Obsidian Systems
dwayne@obsidian.co.za     +27-21-448 9265 / 7827 (work)
+27-21-448 9574 (fax)     +27-83-443 7114 (cell)

"An English-only, or even an English-mainly, policy necessarily condemns
most people, and thus the country as a whole, to a permanent state of
mediocrity, since people are unable to be spontaneous, creative and
self-confident if they cannot use their first language"
          Dr Neville Alexander - 'Where English can Serve but not Empower.'