[Kalzium] [Avogadro-devel] gsoc summer project, animation in Kalzium, call for feedback

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus at cryos.org
Sat May 17 22:56:55 CEST 2008

Hi Naomi,

Thanks for posting to these lists. It is good to see you introduce yourself.

Naomi Fox wrote:
> I'm working on a Google summer of code project (gsoc) to add animation
> features into libAvogadro, which provides the molecular viewer
> functionality of Kalzium.  My mentor is Marcus Hanwell, who worked on
> libAvogadro as a gsoc project last summer.
>
> As part of Kalzium as an educational tool, I think the ability to view
> molecules in motion is a powerful tool for providing insight into how
> biological functions happen.
I see Benoit and Geoff have already replied on list. I am not sure if
you are aware that Benoit was my mentor last year. It would be good to
ensure you can still build trunk of Avogadro and Kalzium and hear about
how you are getting familiar with the code bases. Either Geoff or myself
can get you SVN access to Avogadro and KDE has its own procedure for
applying for an account that you can find on http://techbase.kde.org/.

> My idea is to provide users with the ability to try different
> techniques for motion generation of molecules (especially proteins)
> and be able to visualize them with Kalzium.  The current best system
> I've found for doing this is VMD
> <http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/>, developed at UIUC.
>
> Below is a list of tasks I've outlined for the project.  I'd love to
> get feedback on what features developers and users might find useful.
I would also reiterate that projects such as this tend to evolve. You
have my contact details if you need to discuss any issues and there are
also quite a few others around on IRC for example who would be happy to
help you through any issues.

Looking forward to a great summer.

Sincerely,

Marcus