[Kalzium] Two versions of Kalzium?

Eloy Cuadra ecuadra at eloihr.net
Fri Sep 16 10:58:21 CEST 2005

On Thursday 15 September 2005 18:20, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> I am thinking about creating two different versions of Kalzium
>
> 1.) A educational version
> 2.) A scientific version

I don't like this idea. It sounds like an auto-fork. Two different versions of
Kalzium will be, sooner or later, two different programs. And that will throw
a little confusion.

Please, consider this other idea: extracting some functionality of the current
program and implement it as modules (or even plugins) that you can activate
through the configure dialog. And then, with the remaining functionalities,
you can decide wich of them shoud be included in an "advanced mode".

> Perhaps you have some ideas to share with me? Egon of cdk-fame is also for
> creating a "kdescience" module where we put kfile_chemistry and other
> science-related tool in.

I agree. That's the way. I don't like that kdeedu have science related
programs (kalzium, kstars and some maths related programs). Maybe a
kdescience should be a better place for these programs.

By now, kdeedu has so many different audiences, from children to scientist,
and from languages to science. IMHO, I'd prefer 3 packages: one for children
(maybe kdeedu-children), another for science (maybe kdeedu-science), and
another one for language related programs (maybe kdeedu-languages).
--
Eloy Cuadra