[Kalzium] Two versions of Kalzium?

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Fri Sep 16 11:59:37 CEST 2005

On Friday 16 September 2005 10:58, Eloy Cuadra wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 18:20, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> > I am thinking about creating two different versions of Kalzium
> >
> > 1.) A educational version
> > 2.) A scientific version
>
> I don't like this idea. It sounds like an auto-fork. Two different versions
> of Kalzium will be, sooner or later, two different programs. And that will
> throw a little confusion.

Yes, in IRC everyone told me the idea is not good :)

> Please, consider this other idea: extracting some functionality of the
> current program and implement it as modules (or even plugins) that you can
> activate through the configure dialog. And then, with the remaining
> functionalities, you can decide wich of them shoud be included in an
> "advanced mode".

Yes, Pino and I talked about that in Malaga. So I think this is the way to go:
Creating small apps which can be activated in Kalzium. The only problem is
that my c++-knowledge about this is not good enough, I hope Pino can help
here...

> > Perhaps you have some ideas to share with me? Egon of cdk-fame is also
> > for creating a "kdescience" module where we put kfile_chemistry and other
> > science-related tool in.
>
> I agree. That's the way. I don't like that kdeedu have science related
> programs (kalzium, kstars and some maths related programs). Maybe a
> kdescience should be a better place for these programs.

I doubt Jason would like to move KStars to another module, right, Jason?

Carsten