[Kalzium] TODO for KDE 3.5 and post-3.5

Pino Toscano toscano.pino at tiscali.it
Wed Aug 24 10:35:57 CEST 2005

Hello,

>>>* Miscellaneous bugs:
>>>  + Make use of the biological symbol.
>>>    CN: I lost the "translation" though, will have to look after it.
>>>    CN: I have deactivated the drawingconde
>>
>>If we reactivate it, a legend would be nice. For example, in a small
>>dialog with a widget like the legend of the Isotope Table. Or in the
>>whatsthis of the overview widget. Or... do you have better ideas?
>
>     CN: No, that is fine. Of course, we also needed a chapter in the manual
> (docbook). The problem is that the table from where I have this is currently
> not availeble in germany because the publisher will issue a new revision in
> "late 2005". My bookstore told me that means October to February. As soon as
> I can get it I will reactivate it, of course.

Ok, I'll wait until then ;-)
It was a simple but nice feature, and with a legend should be perfect.

>>>109037  svg export please (but only if convient and using QPainter)
>>>  CN: Ingwa is on this, a post 3.5-feature, but a very nice one
>>>
>>>109397  Support for Stewart's table
>>>  CN: I have the permission to use Stewarts png-graphic in Kalzium. post
>>>3.5-feature
>>
>>These two both could be easily done if we detach the painting routines
>>and put them in a new class (for example, KalziumPainter( QPaintDevice*
>>dev )). The usage of the QPaintDevice could allow us to draw it on the
>>main app widget, on an SVG file, on a standard image, ...
>>Using a method like KalziumPainter::setTableType(), or maybe adding
>>small "plugin classes" which defines the various kind of tables...
>>I could help on that :-)
>
> Yes, but that is a Qt4-think. Arther provides many many new things and perhaps
> KPainter2 could also be used. Depends on how fast those things progress after
> the akademy!

Mmm... I think that could be done also with the actual technologies;
anyway, we'll discuss also that at akademy, and we'll inform you all ;)

>>>* Make use of hotnewstuff. In the detailinfodlg there should be
>>>  a weblookup. If the user click on a button Konq will start with
>>>  a page about the element. Of course, the user should be able
>>>  to decide which page.
>>>  For this we could create a simple editor and store it in xml.
>>>  on edu.kde.org we would enable KHNS so that users can share
>>>  their pages. Imaginge for example the different wikipedia-languages
>>
>>I remember Kalzium had a web lookup. Why was it deleted and what about
>>re-adding it?
>
> The problem was that Kalzium only supported about five languages. It simply
> http-get'ed the data from a provider in the internet which no longer exists.
> Furthermore, it really only worked for those few languages.

Are there no other sites that provide similar contents?

>>>* Add two comboboxes to the infodialog: That way the user can search
>>>  for an element by name and number. Like in CheExp
>>
>>What about adding the same for the main table?
>
> Sorry?

I mean, adding a search lineedit above the table. For example, if I
write "ge" it should hide or grey out all the elements but the ones
whose name/symbol/both (a combobox for that near the lineeedit should be
fine IMHO) matches the written text (in our case, "Germanium", "Oxygen",
... ).
Carsten, don't you remember one Mac app you made me see? ;)

>>>* Thinking on people with some disabilities, it would be great if they
>>>can select the elements on the grid by using cursor keys (or just tab
>>>key).
> [...snip....]
> "Keine unterschiedlichen Farben" means the colourmode with only one colour.

Ok, this is doable too, and a new page in the preferences will do the job.

>>>* Spectrum-Classes
>>>  + Create an editor. The user enters some wavelength and Kalzium will
>>>    create a graphic from that data.
>>
>>Isn't there already the editor, even if not well working?
>
> Yes, but the editor only makes sense if Kalzium is able to load the data you
> create in the editor. So the writing and reading stuff is missing.

As a new standalone release is planned soon IIRC, will you wait that for
re-adding it back?

Ah, another one point (quite simple) to the TODO : redesign the Colours
setting page, as the actual one is all but usable. We could ask at
akademy, as there will be some usability tests and researches. In the
meanwhile, every idea is welcome ;-)

Cheers,

- --
Pino Toscano