[Kalzium] TODO for KDE 3.5 and post-3.5

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at kde.org
Tue Aug 23 13:47:20 CEST 2005

On Tuesday, 23. August 2005 12:49 pm, Pino Toscano wrote:
> Carsten Niehaus ha scritto:
> > This is just a update to get an overview. Comments very welcome!
>
> Ok, mine follows:
> > * Miscellaneous bugs:
> >   + Make use of the biological symbol.
> >     CN: I lost the "translation" though, will have to look after it.
> >     CN: I have deactivated the drawingconde
>
> If we reactivate it, a legend would be nice. For example, in a small
> dialog with a widget like the legend of the Isotope Table. Or in the
> whatsthis of the overview widget. Or... do you have better ideas?

    CN: No, that is fine. Of course, we also needed a chapter in the manual
(docbook). The problem is that the table from where I have this is currently
not availeble in germany because the publisher will issue a new revision in
"late 2005". My bookstore told me that means October to February. As soon as
I can get it I will reactivate it, of course.

> > 109037  svg export please (but only if convient and using QPainter)
> >   CN: Ingwa is on this, a post 3.5-feature, but a very nice one
> >
> > 109397  Support for Stewart's table
> >   CN: I have the permission to use Stewarts png-graphic in Kalzium. post
> > 3.5-feature
>
> These two both could be easily done if we detach the painting routines
> and put them in a new class (for example, KalziumPainter( QPaintDevice*
> dev )). The usage of the QPaintDevice could allow us to draw it on the
> main app widget, on an SVG file, on a standard image, ...
> Using a method like KalziumPainter::setTableType(), or maybe adding
> small "plugin classes" which defines the various kind of tables...
> I could help on that :-)

Yes, but that is a Qt4-think. Arther provides many many new things and perhaps
KPainter2 could also be used. Depends on how fast those things progress after
the akademy!

> > * Plotting
>
> Yeah, plotting indeed needs improvement. I'll drop a bug here:
> * try plotting the range eg 1...5 with element labels and tellme if you
> can see the 1st and the last element of the range....

:(

> > * Add more than only one mode to Kalzium, eg a mode with simplified
> >   user interface (less looks, easier menu structure, less information
> >   in the infodialog) and a full-mode where everything is enabled.
>
> Then, we should define which things are "simply" and which other are
> "advanced".

- Advanced:
  - Orbits
  - All but one radius
  - Mean weight
  - Oxidationstages
- Simple:
  - The rest plus Stewards table

> > * Make use of hotnewstuff. In the detailinfodlg there should be
> >   a weblookup. If the user click on a button Konq will start with
> >   a page about the element. Of course, the user should be able
> >   to decide which page.
> >   For this we could create a simple editor and store it in xml.
> >   on edu.kde.org we would enable KHNS so that users can share
> >   their pages. Imaginge for example the different wikipedia-languages
>
> I remember Kalzium had a web lookup. Why was it deleted and what about
> re-adding it?

The problem was that Kalzium only supported about five languages. It simply
http-get'ed the data from a provider in the internet which no longer exists.
Furthermore, it really only worked for those few languages.

> > * Besides although for the "common user" is more easy to understand
> >   the information in "... years", it's more correct and flexible in
> >   scientific terms to use the scientific notation: ...x10e9 years.
>
> What about an option in the preferences?
> So, different kind of users could personalize that behavior.

Yes, sure

> > * Add two comboboxes to the infodialog: That way the user can search
> >   for an element by name and number. Like in CheExp
>
> What about adding the same for the main table?

Sorry?

> > * Thinking on people with some disabilities, it would be great if they
> > can select the elements on the grid by using cursor keys (or just tab
> > key).
>
> Should not be too hard, I'll take a look...

In January 2005 I asked the accessibility-folks about Kalzium, here is the
link:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-accessibility&m=110486557200822&w=2

There are several followups:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-accessibility&m=110486834325180&w=2
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-accessibility&m=110493157203395&w=2
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-accessibility&m=110536616520587&w=2
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-accessibility&m=110536644502059&w=2

I will quote one easy-to-do-item:
"You might also wish to improve the "Keine unterschiedlichen Farben" mode
to only use the text and base (text background) colours from the current
colour schemes. This is important for partially sighted people who need
to use white text an a black background, for example. The mode should
support to show all information without the use of additional colours
(apart from other standard colours such as highlight background and
foreground colours). This means you would have to show the aggregate
state as text in this case."

"Keine unterschiedlichen Farben" means the colourmode with only one colour.

> > * Spectrum-Classes
> >   + Create an editor. The user enters some wavelength and Kalzium will
> >     create a graphic from that data.
>
> Isn't there already the editor, even if not well working?

Yes, but the editor only makes sense if Kalzium is able to load the data you
create in the editor. So the writing and reading stuff is missing.

Carsten