[k3b] Michael Malek - Question About CD/DVD App

Michał Małek michalm at jabster.pl
Sat Aug 14 20:26:37 UTC 2010

Das wrote:
> Michael Malek,
>
> I've been told by Sebastian that you are taking over K3B?
>
> While I think that K3b is a fine application I do not use KDE or have any
> of it's libs or dependencies installed.
>
> While I may not know everything, I have used Linux for 10 years and I have
> truly seen in these 10 years that the more you have installed, the more
> problems you tend to run into, but not always the case.
>
> Over all those years I have personally had nothing but problems one after
> another using Gnome and KDE and I have seen countless others too.
>
> So with my past and experiences I have my own beliefs when it comes to
> using Linux, simply put with my experience I don't need to use desktops,
> like Gnome and KDE. I personally only run OpenBox and it's good enough for
> me. With experience and the ability to run only a window manager such as
> Blackbox, Fluxbox, OpenBox, or something similar I truly have never seen
> problems like you would running bigger window managers or desktops and you
> won't.
>
> The downside to trying to keep the system light weight and stable comes at
> a cost, application compatibility, without the need for a lot of
> dependencies.
>
> I want to ask you if it is possible to make a smaller light weight cd/dvd
> application and I would assume since your development is in QT for K3B then
> maybe you can make something that is more of a QT application and not KDE,
> without the need for any KDE.
>
> Thank you for your time, I look forward to your reply.

Hi,
Altough I understand your position to stay away from KDE libraries, K3b is
heavily dependant on it. Making Qt-only burning application would basically
mean writing it from scratch. I personally have no time, will and need to
write such application but If anyone would like to do it I don't have problem
with that :)

--
Best regards,
Michał