[k3b] Michael Malek - Question About CD/DVD App

Das dasfox at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 00:36:28 UTC 2010

Michael Malek,

I've been told by Sebastian that you are taking over K3B?

While I think that K3b is a fine application I do not use KDE or have any of
it's libs or dependencies installed.

While I may not know everything, I have used Linux for 10 years and I have
truly seen in these 10 years that the more you have installed, the more
problems you tend to run into, but not always the case.

Over all those years I have personally had nothing but problems one after
another using Gnome and KDE and I have seen countless others too.

So with my past and experiences I have my own beliefs when it comes to using
Linux, simply put with my experience I don't need to use desktops, like
Gnome and KDE. I personally only run OpenBox and it's good enough for me.
With experience and the ability to run only a window manager such as
Blackbox, Fluxbox, OpenBox, or something similar I truly have never seen
problems like you would running bigger window managers or desktops and you
won't.

The downside to trying to keep the system light weight and stable comes at a
cost, application compatibility, without the need for a lot of dependencies.

I want to ask you if it is possible to make a smaller light weight cd/dvd
application and I would assume since your development is in QT for K3B then
maybe you can make something that is more of a QT application and not KDE,
without the need for any KDE.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to your reply.

Cheers,
Das