Questions about external assets

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 19:33:21 BST 2023

Hi,

Le 04/04/2023 à 13:04, Sina Fesahati(Encrypted Messaging) a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> There are some questions about GCompris software/package which I
> wanted to ask and I couldn't find an answer via website or mail archive:
>
> -GCompris is a GNU package or KDE package?

It is both, a GNU package maintained by the KDE community.

> -Does this software depends on non-free packages or content(like
> licensed assets)?
No.

> -Why some of the assets not contained in the software itself?

This is to make the base installer lighter, which is useful for many
reasons. Especially for the voices which would be huge to embed by
default for all the languages. It also allows to add/update extra
content independently from releases, which is again especially useful
when new voices are available. Some GNU/Linux distributions (but not all
of them) do package the extra files so they can directly be installed by
the system package manager.

> -Where this external assets downloaded and are there any file to
> install that assets without downloading?

All the extra content can be downloaded from
https://cdn.kde.org/gcompris/data2/ . The sources are at
https://invent.kde.org/education/gcompris-data .

So users can download from there
backgroundMusic/backgroundMusic-codecName.rcc,
voices-codecName/voices-localeName.rcc and words/words-webp.rcc , and
copy those on their system (for example, the path to install the files
for one user on a GNU/Linux system would be
/home/username/.cache/KDE/gcompris-qt/data2/ , moving the rcc files in
folders named backgroundMusic/ , voices-codecName/  and words/ ).

Regards,

Timothée