Kiosk mode

JAZEIX Johnny jazeix at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 20:34:19 BST 2018

On 9/3/18 9:00 PM, Jacques Bon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just discovered the new QT version of GCompris, congratulations and thanks to all the team.
>
> I've tried the kiosk mode, very useful and highly desirable for me as a young kids (3-5 yo) teacher.
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't manage to define and save a desktop in kiosk mode, i.e. just with 2-3 activities at the beginning of the year.
>
> In non-kiosk mode, kids are able to go to settings, active the activities bar, launch activities too difficult for them, precisely what I don't want.
>
> I wish to be able to set up a desktop, then hide the activities bar, then enable the kiosk mode and find back my desktop.
>
> Is it possible ?
>
> Thanks for your help, best regards

Hi Jacques,

if you consider children will never use shortcuts, you can use Ctrl+S to
show/hide the sections (activities bar).

Same for the bar with Ctrl+B (but it won't hide the small button to show
it again).

Then, to switch the kiosk mode, you can manually edit
~/.config/gcompris/gcompris-qt.conf, look for kiosk=false/true and put
the value you want.

For now, setting the kiosk mode inhibits the favorites at start so they
are not visible anymore when you run again the application.

If you plan to run once the application and don't stop GCompris, set the
activities you want as favorites, go back to the first tab and hide the
sections, it should be fine.

Johnny

ps: I just saw you find the solution, but in case there are more info
here, I still send it.