How can I compile GCompris with the voices added to it?

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 18:49:18 GMT 2018

Hi,

Le mar. 27 nov. 2018 à 19:26, amine amine <ammine007 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Thank you for your help. But to be honest it is not clear to me.
> Here is my actual configuration: I use Debian GNU/Linux 64bits.
> - I have downloaded installed GCompris that comes by default with the OS:
> GCompris V15.10

This is the previous unmaintained gcompris version, not the one we are
currently developing.
The current one is named "gcompris-qt" on Debian (
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gcompris-qt).

> - I have also downloaded the binaries of the version 0.91

If you want to compile gcompris, you don't need the binaries.

- I have cloned the 0.91 project from github; and it is here:
> "/home/webuser/git-projects/GCompris-qt"

Once you have the source code, you can build it using QtCreator (open the
CMakeLists.txt at the root and build it) or in command line:
cd /home/webuser/git-projects/GCompris-qt
mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. && make getSvnTranslations && cmake .. && make

You need some dependencies, you can follow
https://gcompris.net/wiki/Qt_Quick_development_process#Compilation_prerequisites
(subversion for example is required to retrieve the translations)
I'm not sure on how to run a specific make target on QtCreator but if you
want to retrieve the translation files, you need to run the
"getSvnTranslations" target and run cmake again.

- I have also cloned the two projects from github :
> GCompris-voices : here is its path:
> "/home/webuser/git-projects/GCompris-voices"

This one is no more used, now, the voices are stored in GCompris-data
repository.

> GCompris-data : here is its path "/home/webuser/git-projects/GCompris-data"
>
> I really do not know what to do then ? sorry but i'm new to Qt and QML.
>
> I just need to compile and run my "/home/webuser/git-projects/GCompris-qt"
> with QT-Creator, with sounds (BackGround music) and voices depending on the
> Language i've chosen.

Once it's compiled, you can run it in the terminal:
./bin/gcompris-qt
By default, it should download the voices from
https://gcompris.net/data2/voices-ogg/, you don't need to compile the
voices directly.
If you have no voices for a language, it means that the voice file doesn't
exist for this language.

If you plan to add/update new voices, then it is what I wrote below.

Johnny

Thank you once again