[GSOC] Porting to Qt

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 15:54:49 UTC 2018

Hi,

can you please subscribe to the list (else I have to approve all of the
messages and it may take some time if I'm not around my computer)?

> Thank you Johnny for your prompt reply and excuse me for my late response.
> I finally
> used Phabricator to send a little revision, I hope I did it correctly.

Yes, it seems good, I'll take a look later.

> Concerning the Gsoc, because I don't have enough experience in testing and
> I'm realizing
> that it's probably out of my knowledge, I prefer to concentrate on porting
> an
> activity. Thus, I'm working on a proposal for the Animation Activity but
> someone
> already made one, so tell me if the competition embarrasses, I could
> propose a new
> activity from this ideas list : http://gcompris.net/wiki/Ideas
> _for_activities .

Unfortunately, there is a competition because we have proposed a small list
of topics and we can't also accept all the students so there can be
conflicting proposals with same ideas and you can keep this one if it's the
one you want to work on.

> Secondly, regarding the .wav sounds in GCompris on Linux, it looks like
> they
> have been disabled in GCAudio.qml because of an old bug with Gstreamer :
>
> function play(file) {
>         if(!fileId.exists(file) || muted)
>             return false
>
>         // @FIXME There is a bug in gstreamer that makes wav files to
> freeze us on Linux.
>         // For now we don't play wav files at all
>         // https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-49689
>         if(/.wav$/.test(file) && ApplicationInfo.platform ==
> ApplicationInfo.Linux)
>             return false
>
> Is there a workaround ? Commenting the if makes the sounds work correctly
> but indeed make
> Gstreamer errors like in the 4 in a row activiy.

The issues were freezes of the application on linux. I would need to check
the current distributions status on GStreamer and if they all have an
enough recent version, we can drop this patch.

> Maybe we could change all the .wav sounds
> to another format ?

wav is the only format that works natively on all platforms and for these
sounds we prefered wav to have a better quality.

Johnny

Thank you