GSoC 2019

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 11:11:58 GMT 2018

Hi,

Le ven. 21 déc. 2018 à 11:44, Aman Kumar Gupta <gupta2140 at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Hi,
>

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 3:35 PM Johnny Jazeix <jazeix at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Like every year, we plan to be part of GSoC.
>>
>> We also need to define the tasks we'll propose (KDE submits its
>> application on Jan 15th).
>>
>> Looking at the major activities to port the only missing one is "analog
>> electricity" (https://phabricator.kde.org/T5954). There is still room
>> for other activities too (adding biology ones for example) or the actual
>> phabricator tasks (https://phabricator.kde.org/project/profile/1/).
>>
>> The second point to work on, is to continue working on the multi dataset
>> per activity. For now, it's still a WIP in branch multi_dataset (
>> https://cgit.kde.org/gcompris.git/log/?h=multiple_dataset) but it will
>> be a rework on a lot of activities to use dataset in form of json instead
>> of hardcoding the levels in the js/qml files (the aim not being to do all
>> of them in the GSoC but having it half time with an activity).
>>

> Can we have an overview idea of what is the concept of multiple dataset
> and how are the activities supposed to adapt to it?

For now, in the branch, only the reversecount activity has been done as
proof of concept.
In the menu, we plan to replace the stars icons with the dataset name:
https://pasteboard.co/HSKeyND.png
On clicking on it, it will display the different datasets specific to this
activity and their objectives: https://pasteboard.co/HSKeiTW.png
(In the code, a dataset is inherited from qml object:
https://cgit.kde.org/gcompris.git/tree/src/core/Dataset.qml?h=multiple_dataset
and set inside the resource folder of the activity.)

Then, once one is chosen, we can click on the activity and play it as usual.

> Also what is expected from this task? It can be seen that some work has
> already started in the branch, it would be good to know what does it aim
> at? How are the activities supposed to work after addition of multiple
> dataset?

The aim is to adapt datasets to the skill of the children who are using
them. An activity may cover a few ages and the aim of it is to split the
learning curve. For example, if we take the multiplication activity, a
child who is just starting to learn multiplication tables will often only
learn during its first year the tables until 5, but GCompris multiplication
activity presents the tables from 1 to 9 from the beginning. It would be
great to split in 2 different datasets (maybe more).

> Will the end-user be able to create a dataset for himself, or it means
> multiple dataset like in categorization activity, except that the user will
> be provided with the all the dataset along with a small description for
> each, and they can choose one according to their suitability?

Not yet to create its own datasets. The aim afterwards, would be to have a
server able to create and use datasets. But multiple_dataset is the first
step towards it.