GSoC 2019

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 11:21:08 GMT 2018

Le 21/12/2018 à 12:11, Johnny Jazeix a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Le ven. 21 déc. 2018 à 11:44, Aman Kumar Gupta <gupta2140 at gmail.com
> <mailto:gupta2140 at gmail.com>> a écrit :
>
>     Hi,
>

>     On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 3:35 PM Johnny Jazeix <jazeix at gmail.com
>     <mailto:jazeix at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         Like every year, we plan to be part of GSoC.
>
>         We also need to define the tasks we'll propose (KDE submits
>         its application on Jan 15th).
>
>         Looking at the major activities to port the only missing one
>         is "analog electricity" (https://phabricator.kde.org/T5954).
>         There is still room for other activities too (adding biology
>         ones for example) or the actual phabricator tasks
>         (https://phabricator.kde.org/project/profile/1/).
>
>         The second point to work on, is to continue working on the
>         multi dataset per activity. For now, it's still a WIP in
>         branch multi_dataset
>         (https://cgit.kde.org/gcompris.git/log/?h=multiple_dataset)
>         but it will be a rework on a lot of activities to use dataset
>         in form of json instead of hardcoding the levels in the js/qml
>         files (the aim not being to do all of them in the GSoC but
>         having it half time with an activity).
>

>     Can we have an overview idea of what is the concept of multiple
>     dataset and how are the activities supposed to adapt to it?
>

> For now, in the branch, only the reversecount activity has been done
> as proof of concept.
> In the menu, we plan to replace the stars icons with the dataset name:
> https://pasteboard.co/HSKeyND.png
> On clicking on it, it will display the different datasets specific to
> this activity and their objectives: https://pasteboard.co/HSKeiTW.png
> (In the code, a dataset is inherited from qml object:
> https://cgit.kde.org/gcompris.git/tree/src/core/Dataset.qml?h=multiple_dataset
> and set inside the resource folder of the activity.)
>
> Then, once one is chosen, we can click on the activity and play it as
> usual.
>
>     Also what is expected from this task? It can be seen that some
>     work has already started in the branch, it would be good to know
>     what does it aim at? How are the activities supposed to work after
>     addition of multiple dataset?
>

> The aim is to adapt datasets to the skill of the children who are
> using them. An activity may cover a few ages and the aim of it is to
> split the learning curve. For example, if we take the multiplication
> activity, a child who is just starting to learn multiplication tables
> will often only learn during its first year the tables until 5, but
> GCompris multiplication activity presents the tables from 1 to 9 from
> the beginning. It would be great to split in 2 different datasets
> (maybe more).

Hi,

I still don't think we should replace the system with stars we have now,
I thought we agreed on that when we discussed about multiple-dataset.

The stars are still a valid indication of the overall difficulty level
of the activities, regardless of dataset system. It would end up more
confusing for the user if we replace that with some dataset names.

I think it would be much better to have a bar button inside the activity
to select and display the dataset level.

Another way if we really want to mix dataset concept with stars would be
to assign each dataset a star level, and then show on activity icons in
the menu the difficulty level corresponding to the selected dataset.

Timothée