Introduction and plans for GSoC'17

Rudra Nil Basu rudra.nil.basu.1996 at gmail.com
Sun May 7 18:36:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am Rudra Nil Basu, a third year CS undergrad from West Bengal, India.
My journey started from December last year when I started contributing to
GCompris by enhancing the existing activities, along with the constant
support from the community.

For this year's Google Summer of Code, I aim at taking GCompris one step
further by finishing three started activities, which are:
* *Pilot a Submarine*: This is an activity aimed to teach how a submarine
works.
  It will be built from scratch, with the initial level containing
tutorials on what the
  different elements of a submarine are and how it works. The latter levels
will
  focus on using the ideas from the tutorial levels in various forms to
check
  whether the child has fully understood the mechanism or not
* *Family*: This is an activity aimed to help children understand how they
are
  related to their relatives. I will be improving the design of the
activity to a
  tree like representation, where the members of the same generation will be
  in the same level. I will also extend the activity in which given a pair,
the user
  will have to choose the correct relation
* *Digital Electricity*: This activity is aimed at providing a real-time
simulation of
  an electric circuit. There exists a free mode, where the children can use
any
  component to create a circuit on their own. I will be implementing levels
  teach the children how these individual components work in a circuit so
that
  the activity will be easier for someone to use even if they didn't know
the
  functionalities of a specific component beforehand.

I will be posting my weekly progress on my blog:
http://rudranilbasu.me/blog/

*Proposal Links*

*PDF*: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6MiLkohbO-OLWxnVWppRXhPWTQ
*Google docs version*: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dOQAEQR72_
fKqJrZ_c3DjjfbtpUX7si7-QiU5R9SWx4/edit?usp=sharing

Finally, I want to thank the community for giving me the opportunity to work
on GCompris. I am looking forward to helping GCompris take one step further
to its goal and hopefully emerge as a better programmer along with the
process.

Thank you,
- *Rudra Nil Basu*