Language/Locale questions

JAZEIX Johnny jazeix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 07:49:11 UTC 2017

On 03/20/17 22:22, Michael Bauer wrote:
> Just realised that Scottish Gaelic no longer has the UI translations
> in the latest builds. Seems like in the move to KDE a whole lot of
> existing translations were fuzzied or lost...
>
> We're trying to encourage a local authority to include it on their
> computers and we're working on bringing it up to speed. 2 questions:
> - what's the cutoff for inclusion? (% or words translated or strings?)
> - can I email the po to an admin for submission? I don't have the
> technical skilly to fight with the way KDE handles po files
>
> Well, there's a third one - I installed the latest version and was
> wondering where the manual locale selection feature in settings went?
> You used to be able to change the locale manually which was crucial
> for those locales which don't have much in the way of localized OS -
> like Gaelic.
>
> Cheers
>
> Michael

Hi,

we have a way to merge the strings translated in the Gtk+ to the Qt po
file if that can help earning some time (so we have around 53%
translated for the latest stable release, in fact:
https://paste.kde.org/pruukrzbo). I can send you the file directly if
easier for you.

There are also other files to be translated (for example
https://github.com/gcompris/GCompris-qt/blob/master/src/activities/lang/resource/content-gd.json
could be completed) but it's less important than the main software
translation.

It would be nice that at least 80% of the software is translated. If you
haven't subscribed to the list (kde-i18n-doc or this one), I can send
you a mail everytime we plan a release so you can try to update the
translation with the latest strings if you have time.

You can email me the po file, I can check with the Gaelic team and see
how to integrate it within the current kde repository.

I'm not sure to understand the last point, in the Gtk+ there was also a
harcoded list with implemented locales, but I'll add Gaelic to the
locale list.