[GCompris-devel] Introduction + GCompris Idea Discussion

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sat Mar 19 08:49:59 UTC 2016

Le 18/03/2016 22:31, Devendra Vyas a écrit :
> Hi!
> Congratulations for getting selected in GSoC'16
>
> I am Devendra Vyas, fourth year undergrad studying Computer Science at
> The LNMIIT, Jaipur. I've a decent background in algorithms and
> data-structures, qualified for ACM-ICPC Regionals. I'm new to open
> source contribution and recently started contributing to
> GNU-Mailman(Postorius, as of now).
>
> This year at conf.KDE I had a chat with Bruno Coudoin about reducing
> the size of the android app for the end user by providing two options -
> 1) Full download (Nothing new here, currently app works this way)
> 2) Providing an option to selectively download any activity
> I had a brief talk with Sagar and as far I have understood, basically
> the core directory is to be divided into categories as in, one part
> would contain basic scripts needed for any activity to render and
> other part would comprise of various scripts segregated in different
> directories may be for each activity.
> Now when a user downloads, we would just provide with the basic
> scripts needed for running any app. If the user opts for a full
> download then all the data(from both Activities and Core directory)
> will be pushed. Else, if he/she selects a particular activity we'll
> only push corresponding Activity directory and its corresponding
> script directory from the core.
>
> It would be really great to have your views upon it.

Hi,

Glad to see you here, it was great fun talking about that with you in
Jaipur.

As Johnny found out we already started this discussion a while ago in
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/gcompris-devel/2015-September/004318.html?

If we go further on that I would propose the following:

- Build an additional <activity>-info.rcc that contains the
ActivityInfo.qml and the icon.
- Remove the ActivityInfo.qml and the icon from full activity rcc
- Make GCompris load the menu from the <activity>-info.rcc instead of
the full rcc
- Load the full rcc on entering the activity (or download it if we don't
have it locally)

If we can do this we and this gives good results we can go further to
include more requirements like:

- Inter Activity dependencies
- Core API level (versioning of activities versus the core)
- User interface option to download all the activities in one go
- Adding new activities server side without reinstalling GCompris (means
the flat list of activities in activities.rcc must be downloadable)

Devendra, if the GCompris team agree on this proposal, it would be nice
to see you working on it.