[GCompris-devel] Introduction + GCompris Idea Discussion

Devendra Vyas devendra.y12 at lnmiit.ac.in
Fri Mar 18 21:31:10 UTC 2016

Hi!
Congratulations for getting selected in GSoC'16

I am Devendra Vyas, fourth year undergrad studying Computer Science at The
LNMIIT, Jaipur. I've a decent background in algorithms and data-structures,
qualified for ACM-ICPC Regionals. I'm new to open source contribution and
recently started contributing to GNU-Mailman(Postorius, as of now).

This year at conf.KDE I had a chat with Bruno Coudoin about reducing the
size of the android app for the end user by providing two options -
1) Full download (Nothing new here, currently app works this way)
2) Providing an option to selectively download any activity
I had a brief talk with Sagar and as far I have understood, basically the
core directory is to be divided into categories as in, one part would
contain basic scripts needed for any activity to render and other part
would comprise of various scripts segregated in different directories may
be for each activity.
Now when a user downloads, we would just provide with the basic scripts
needed for running any app. If the user opts for a full download then all
the data(from both Activities and Core directory) will be pushed. Else, if
he/she selects a particular activity we'll only push corresponding Activity
directory and its corresponding script directory from the core.

It would be really great to have your views upon it.

Thanks and Regards
Devendra Vyas