[GCompris-devel] Plugin system for rcc

JAZEIX Johnny jazeix at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 17:36:04 UTC 2015

Hi,
As you may know, we are reaching the maximum size for apk package for
the android version. One solution found to bypass it is to have a kind
of package center (store, plugin system..., call it whatever you want
:)). By default, the apk (for android but we can do it for all
platforms, no need to be specific for one) will contain only "some"
activities and the other ones will be downloadable on the GCompris
website. Some is to be defined but I think that we need to put enough
activities for people to get an idea of the software, maybe the maximum
as long as we don't go above the limit?

As for voices, the files can be put in a local folder (data2/activities
for example). We could have a Content file listing all the activities
that we can download for the site. However, we need more infos (we can't
put only the rcc filename to the user). What I thought of, is having
another rcc file containing the ActivityInfo.qml files of all
activities. This way, we have the names, sections, difficulties and
descriptions of each available activity. The content file could still be
useful to know if there is activity updates to only download them.

On configuration panel, we could have a new Dialog (activated after
clicking on a new button "Activities" for example) where we'll have a
menu with all the sections at top, a list of all activities of current
selected section at left and on the remaining space, the description of
the selected activity (or simply a tree, not sure what is best for
user). Or we can wait to do the admin part and it will be handled by it.

What do you think of it?