[GCompris-devel] Fwd: Cathegorisation activity

Emmanuel Charruau echarruau at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 06:26:47 UTC 2016

Hi Divyam,

I tested your new version of the category activity this morning with real
photo.
I gave the activity to my son who is 8 years old and looked him doing.
To reach my goal of categorisation I removed in the code the instructions
and the names of the categories.
He did not know he was categorizing birds when he was presentied with the
10 first images.

This is really really rich.
He started to do the bird activity. Grouped them well at the beginning and
I asked them how he did it.
He told me that he grouped animals having 2 legs on the right.
Then at level 2 he realised they were all birds.

This is really what I wanted to achieve. This activity is thought for 3-6
years old when with images.
They train to find things in common and it works.

About the size of the images, you will see that nectarine.jpg is 5k and
this is perfect. We could give a limit of 10k to category creator if we
want to save some space.

I had a look to the qml, this is much better than it was a week ago :) :)

Now I have a real problem. My goal is that players find the category of the
objects or animals we are presenting them.
But in the menu we give them the name of the category!!! For example to
make them group birds together we call the category bird!!!!
We give them the solution before they play :(
And I do not have a solution for this problem :(
We really have to think about that.

Anyway, well done so far great job, my son found it really interesting and
me too looking him playing it.

Emmanuel