[GCompris-devel] Categorization Activity

Divyam Madaan divyam3897 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 08:11:33 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,
I had an interesting conversation with Johnny and Allon. I am concluding it
in this mail so that we can make it better with further suggestions :)
I have a huge dataset for my activity "Categorization" and it will keep on
increasing as we add more categories. So we can't add it in the resources
folder as the apk size is to be kept below 100 Mb.

Johnny suggested a solution that we can make different .rcc for each
category for eg a shapes.rcc containing all the images for the shapes
category, animals.rcc containing images of birds and animals etc and the
user can download whatever categories they like. Basically we can keep all
the details for a category in a .rcc and create them dynamically i.e show a
category only when its downloaded. In this way we can even add more
categories without a new release as they have to downloaded :) We can
provide the user a list of all the categories in a text file in the
resource folder and use the DownloadManager Class for downloading files and
even create a script to create .rcc for new folders. We can do the same for
lang activity too.

Allon also suggested that we can have modes in the activity say
easy,difficult. In easy mode we specify the instructions and details etc
but in difficult we let the user chose what he is categorizing for example
In Fruits category if we have all the red fruits and we place a red house,
red car as a bad image in it then the user might think its the red color
that he is categorizing but its the categorization of fruits.
I have a problem in the above method in making a .rcc say I am making the
fruits category and I have a car, house as a bad image in that category
then I don't know if it would be wise to add a car in foods.rcc . Even if I
do so then if in other categories example shapes I require that car again
then the user has to download the car again as a bad image. What can we do
to solve this issue?
We need to think regarding the above issue but I think the above
suggestions would be great once they are implemented successfully :)

Thank you
Regards
Divyam Madaan