[GCompris-devel] Search feature

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sun Jan 3 19:05:10 UTC 2016

Le 03/01/2016 19:34, Aruna S a écrit :
> Hey Rishabh!
>
> The search feature is much needed, so it'll be great to have you work
> on this.
>
>>     The only thing I have figured out is to use a hash table since it
>>     provides a faster lookup .I would  need little guidance and input
>>     from all of you to complete it.
>
> A simple and quick way to implement a hash lookup in Javascript would
> be to create a searchable JSON object where the keys and values in the
> JSON object pertain to each activity.
> The key would have to be unique for each activity(the name of the
> activity? Or a hash of the activity code or some other way), and the
> value of the key has to be a way to bring the activity to the forefront.
Hi, I am not convince we need to maintain a hash for faster lookup. I
made the following test using grep:

time grep -i mouse src/activities/*/ActivityInfo.qml
0,00s user 0,00s system 0% cpu 0,003 total

So it take 3ms to get the list of all activities containing the word
mouse in upper or lower case. No big deal. We may have a worse result in
javascript but doing so in C++ would get us to close results.

> Not sure if this solution is the best one, but a brute force way to
> present games that match a search query might be to create an
> invisible section(like the favourites, maths, strategy section etc) to
> present the matches from a search query, and add this section name to
> the ActivityInfo.qml. The section can be made visible/active only when
> a "Search" is in progress and is presenting results.

I like the concept. Just going further on it I propose something along
these lines:

- there is a search icon in the section list (top rigth in horizontal mode).
- when clicked the section icons are replaced by a search entry box (and
a virtual keyboard appears if needed)
- the search is done incrementally, uppon each letter entry a 'grep' is
performed and the list of matching activity is shown
- when we get back from an activity we are again in thesame search if we
started the activity from here
- a 'stop search' icon allows to get back to the normal mode