[GCompris-devel] Search feature

RISHABH GUPTA rishabh9511 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 19:22:12 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 12:35 AM, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net>
wrote:

> Le 03/01/2016 19:34, Aruna S a écrit :
>
> Hey Rishabh!
>
> The search feature is much needed, so it'll be great to have you work on
> this.
>
>> The only thing I have figured out is to use a hash table since it
>> provides a faster lookup .I would  need little guidance and input from all
>> of you to complete it.
>>
>> A simple and quick way to implement a hash lookup in Javascript would be
> to create a searchable JSON object where the keys and values in the JSON
> object pertain to each activity.
> The key would have to be unique for each activity(the name of the
> activity? Or a hash of the activity code or some other way), and the value
> of the key has to be a way to bring the activity to the forefront.
>
> Hi, I am not convince we need to maintain a hash for faster lookup. I made
> the following test using grep:
>
> time grep -i mouse src/activities/*/ActivityInfo.qml
> 0,00s user 0,00s system 0% cpu 0,003 total
>
> So it take 3ms to get the list of all activities containing the word mouse
> in upper or lower case. No big deal. We may have a worse result in
> javascript but doing so in C++ would get us to close results.
>

> Not sure if this solution is the best one, but a brute force way to
> present games that match a search query might be to create an invisible
> section(like the favourites, maths, strategy section etc) to present the
> matches from a search query, and add this section name to the
> ActivityInfo.qml. The section can be made visible/active only when a
> "Search" is in progress and is presenting results.
>

> I like the concept. Just going further on it I propose something along
> these lines:
>
> - there is a search icon in the section list (top rigth in horizontal
> mode).
> - when clicked the section icons are replaced by a search entry box (and a
> virtual keyboard appears if needed)

In my opinion instead of having the search icon on the top right we can
place it on the bottom next to configuration icon .
- On clicking it the icon would expand into a search entry box .

> - the search is done incrementally, uppon each letter entry a 'grep' is
> performed and the list of matching activity is shown

if for every letter a matching activity is to be shown then we cannot use
hash table.
-We can store activities by their name in a QList ,this would allow to
display all the activities matching every letter the user types.

> - when we get back from an activity we are again in thesame search if we
> started the activity from here
> - a 'stop search' icon allows to get back to the normal mode

Bruno.

Also how should  I debug qml files  ?like setting breakpoints ,stepping
etc .? is there any way to do that?

thank you all for your inputs  :)