[GCompris-devel] Idea discussion

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Mon Apr 4 02:32:45 UTC 2016

Le 04/04/2016 00:29, Divyam Madaan a écrit :
> Hello folks,
> My name is Divyam Madaan,First year undergraduate student from India.I
> came across GCompris in conf.kde 2016 and really liked its concept and
> loved the way it benefits the children.I would be glad to be a part of
> GCompris by contributing in it and have pondered over various ideas
> for different activities which are as follows:
> 1) Identify the shapes: I thought it of two ways:
> a) A real life object can be shown for eg. A stick and there will be
> four options to identify which shape is it.The options might contain
> only the names of shapes for eg ractangle , square , line etc or
> shape's name along with their shape diagram so it gets easier for kids
> to identfy.The correct answer is to be guessed from the options to
> proceed in the next level.
> b) A scene can be shown for eg a basketball game and we need to find a
> shape say for eg sphere out of the scene.So the basketball is to be
> chosen in this case as the correct answer.
> With this activity the kids will start relating real life objects with
> the geometrical shapes and will look and identify them from a
> different perspective.
Hi,

Thanks for your proposal. As you describe it is looks like a puzzle
where the children fill the correct answer. This just checks a
knowledge, it does not help children to acquire it.

> 2) Sort it out: In this activity a bunch of shapes would be provided
> for eg star and circle or same shapes i.e only stars.Then the shapes
> need to be sorted out based on different criterias which can be either
> shape,size or color.
> With this activity the kid will learn to seperate/sort things out
> based on different criterias.

Again, I expect the children to play with the concept an for example
measure or weight things and then organize them.