[GCompris-devel] implementing squares of numbers

Emmanuel Charruau echarruau at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 17:40:38 UTC 2015

Hi Rishabh,

If you do not like your idea I have an idea of activity that I would love
for my class.

I don't know the english term but when I teach addition I use what we call
"complement à 10".

Let me explain it with an example

7 + 5 = ?

7 + 3 + 2 = ?

10 + 2 = 12

This is not that easy to grab for my 7 years old pupils.
What I would love is to have an activity a bit similar to this

http://www.attrape-nombres.com/an/nc_play.php?lang=fr

in much simpler.

There would always be two boxes containing each 10 apples places.

The game would ask for exemple 7 + 5

7 apples would already be placed in the first box. Then pupils would have
to write under the 3 empty places the number 3 (3 apples would complete the
empty places).
, then under the second empty box 2 (2 apples would complete 2 empty
places) and the result somewhere else.

Then the activity validates.

This way pupils are really thinking numbers as quantities and they get a
great technic to count quicly.

What do you think of this activity?

Regards,

Emmanuel