[GCompris-devel] combobox rework

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:07:29 UTC 2015

Hi,

there are some problems with comboboxes and I've been taking a look on
how we can have a specific simple comboboxes for GCompris that won't
be platform dependent (I saw some issues on linux and for sailfishOS
and ubuntu platforms, QtQuick.Controls isn't accessible by default and
it would make specific qml code for these platforms if we use these
platforms comboboxes).
Also, it will permit to have the same visual aspect in all platforms
the same way we did for dialogs.

There are still some points about usability I'd like to discuss with you:

For now, I did a button (rectangle with text), that displays the
current choice and once clicked, displays on fullscreen (the whole
gcompris window) a scrollable list with all the possible choices.

Navigation can be done either using keyboard arrows or mouse/finger.

But, I'm not sure on how to implement the validation.

Is it better to do :
* A simple click validates the user choice and hides the list?
or
* You can select the items as you want and on the bottom of the list,
there is a Cancel/Accept icon/text to validate once you have chosen?

First solution makes only one click for user but if it is not sure and
click by mistake he has to reopen the list.

Second one makes two clicks but the user can "take its time" to choose.

Another point is how to differenciate the current item from the
others. Is having different colors enough or adding an icon besides
the chosen one is better (a checked cross for example)?

Don't hesitate to say if there are some unclear points or to add any remarks.