[GCompris-devel] Imageid

Holger Kaelberer hk at elberer.de
Sat Jan 17 18:59:09 UTC 2015

On 01/17/2015 03:22 PM, Bruno Coudoin wrote:

>> WDYT?
>>
> I see another option and this is what we are doing in the Gtk+ version, when we don't have the
> dataset for the current locale, we warn the user and switch to English. The message could also make
> a call to let the user contribute to KDE i18n.

ok

> If we work on the per activity configuration, we also could let the user change the locale in this
> activity and thus let the children learn a foreign language.
>
> Yesterday I had a interesting discussion with Karl Ove Hufthammer. He raised an very good point
> about the way we handle the localization of our dataset. He convinced me that we can go the po way
> for them by writing converters in this case content.txt to pot and po to content.txt (localized). In
> the pot file we can link to the image on gcompris.net so that the translator can easily see the
> image to put a word on it. It has always been a problem to have the localized dataset, we can
> probably do better by using regular translation tools as Karl suggest.

Cool! Thus we could get the word-lists translated into more languages. (Did not understand how this
would work in terms of definition of to-be-translated words, though).

Maybe we should package the translated word-lists differently (then). Now they come in the
voices-XX.rcc, which makes sense when word-lists come together with the corresponding ogg-files.
Already for german this will not be the case as we don't have ogg-files yet (maybe same for
word-lists that will be translated the po way). So it might make sense to package the contents.json
in gcompris-qt directly?

Holger